Loaded Vegetarian Baked Sweet Potato are Mexican-inspired, loaded with zesty black beans, melted cheese, salsa with a dollop of cream. What can be better than a 20 minute meal!
Loaded Vegetarian Baked Sweet Potato
This recipe is a guest post from The Picky Eater. I met Anjali in San Francisco a few years ago; she’s a sweet blogger who I instantly connected with, she is also a vegetarian and shared this delicious (yes, I tested this myself and now make it all the time) recipe with us, perfect for meatless Monday!
Hi Everyone! My name is Anjali Shah and I blog over at The Picky Eater, where I write about healthy recipes and easy-to-make family meals. I test all of my recipes on my “fast food loving husband,” who, prior to meeting me, ate a diet of frozen pizzas and Taco Bell, so any recipe that makes it on to my blog is “husband approved”!
One of my favorite things to do in the kitchen is to makeover comfort foods into healthy versions that taste amazing, are full of flavor and feel just like the original.
Today I’d like to share one of my favorite recipes – my Loaded Baked Potato Makeover. My healthy swaps include: sweet potatoes instead of russet, “loaded” toppings like black beans and veggies sautéed with spices, and a dollop of cream (which is my favorite swap – 0% Greek Yogurt for sour cream!) The husband usually can’t tell the difference, especially when I spice up the yogurt with some taco seasoning.
How To Make Loaded Baked Sweet Potatoes
This meal is delicious and takes only 20 minutes to make, which is why I love making it after a long day at work – I know I’ll have something yummy in my stomach in the same amount of time it would take to pick up takeout. The husband loved it too, and it has since become a staple weeknight meal in our house. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
More Sweet Potato Recipes:
Loaded Baked Sweet Potato “Healthified”
Baked Mexican style vegetarian loaded sweet potato loaded with zesty black beans, melted cheese, salsa with a dollop of cream. What can be better than a 20 minute meal!
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt (or light sour cream)
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp olive or canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- a pinch of salt
- 1-1/3 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup mild or spicy salsa
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions or cilantro
- Poke holes in the potato with a fork, cook on your microwave’s potato setting until potatoes are soft and cooked through (about 8-10 minutes on high for 4 potatoes). If you don’t have a microwave, bake about 45 minutes at 400°F.
- Combine yogurt and taco seasoning in a small bowl, mix well.
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add peppers, onions, chili powder, paprika, cumin and salt; cook until the onions have caramelized slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add black beans, stir to combine and heat through (about another 5 minutes).
- Slice the potato lengthwise down the middle or as I did in the photo, use a fork to pierce the top in an oval shape, then remove the top of each potato.
- Top with 2 tbsp shredded cheese, 1/3 cup of black bean mixture, 2 tbsp Greek yogurt mixture and 2 tbsp salsa of salsa.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 1 potato
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 8
- Points +: 8
- Calories: 307 calories
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 7.5mg
- Sodium: 312mg
- Carbohydrates: 53g
- Fiber: 10.5g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 15g
All images and text ©